Below is an article piece from LinkedIn about things to consider when looking for a new job and WHAT to tell people of they ask you.
- What do you want from your next role? To develop technical skills or leadership, to stretch yourself, to embed skills you already have?
- Do you have an idea of the role you want in the long-term? Is your next role a stepping stone to that or do you want something completely new?
- How senior a role do you want? Why? Do you want to be a leader and do you have experience in this? Would you prefer to work in a team or alone? How big a team would you prefer?
- What industries have you worked in before that would give you an edge, and what industry do you want next? Why?
- What type of company do you want to work for? A small start-up, a growing company, a large corporation?
- What type of work environment do you want? Fast-moving, flexible, traditional, innovative? Is the development methodology important to you? Do you want a team where roles are flexible and varied or do you prefer clearly-defined responsibilities?
- What salary/benefits would you want ideally and do you have a minimum in mind?
- Do you have any must-haves?
- What is most important to you? The role, company culture, salary, benefits, training, flexibility, industry, opportunities, location, or other things?
I met Shirley through working at 2degrees with her – she was a contractor Test Lead and i was a Junior TA. I found Shirley to be one of the best Test Leads/Manager i have had the pleasure to work with. I mean this lady is seriously clued on. The best thing i found about her was she had the ability to answer my testing theory related questions, something strangely enough i found was lacking.
Now don’t get me wrong, people knew how to do their jobs and do it really well . But it was more practical approaches on how to achieve something. Shirley approaches work from how things work, teaching you what you need to achieve instead of following a template method.
Shirley can be found at her new company site http://www.elementum.co.nz/